Here is the list of requirements originally envisaged for the hub:
- Modular sampler that could take readings from different sensors for temperature, humidity, etc.
- Autonomous controller that could switch extractor fans, external lights, central heating, etc.
- Logger that could save sensor values at regular intervals
- Web Interface that would enable remote monitoring and control
- Alerts for abnormal conditions via email and text message
- Simple interface for configuring conditions and rules
- Statistics for recording longer-term highs and lows
- Time-based rules enabling replacement of central heating time clock
- Easy-to-configure access to forecast data for predictive control
There are many platforms available that could achieve all of these aims, however, at the time I could not settle on any one that offered the flexibility and modularity I required.